While it's not hard to seek out and find Canadian online casinos, you may find it harder to differentiate average Canadian casinos online from the best in class. Unless you know what criteria to look for, you risk signing up with a below par casino, and missing out on the best possible online gambling experience. This is why we have a team of highly experienced online casino reviewers who have done all of the hard work for you, by seeking out, playing at and impartially reviewing and ranking only the finest Canadian online casinos for your gaming pleasure - all of which you'll find featured on this site.
With over 15 years of experience in evaluating online casinos, you are sure we have all the bases covered. You'll find all of the Canadian-friendly online casinos we feature and recommend are reputable, licensed and highly ranked by players and online gambling experts the world over. And in this regard, the most common question we are regularly asked is how we recognise the best Canadian online casinos. The short answer is that we rate them according to a pre-defined and stringent set of criteria.
Our #1 ranked online casino for Canadian players
for September 2018 is:
If you want a bigger selection, we have it for you. Read on to find:
- Sites that will accept play in Canadian Dollars.
- Bonuses that match your playing style and game choice. Game eligibility is key to a happy experience.
- Canadian sites that meet our minimum requirements to be listed here.
154 Canadian Online Casinos
How We Choose the Finest Online Canadian Casino Sites
Although the look and feel of an online casino is important (who doesn't love a professional-looking and welcoming website), the criteria that count go much deeper than simple web design. Premier Canadian online casinos offer players the 'complete package' in terms of security, games, payment options, bonuses, customer care facilities, promotions and more:
- Licensed and Regulated: The best online casinos in Canada are licensed and thus regulated to ensure that you as a player will always encounter the fairest and most lucrative games available now
- Choice of Games: Top-rated Canadian online casino sites have vast game portfolios with a considerable cross-section of casino games from slots to blackjack to keno and everything in between
- Welcome Bonuses: If you're a fan of having your real money playing funds 'bumped up' for free, you'll find the welcome bonuses available at Canadian internet casinos to be extremely generous
- Regular Promotions: The very best online Canadian casinos are known for attracting and retaining players with a host of daily, weekly and monthly promotions to keep things fresh and exciting
- Safety and Security: Privacy, security and discretion are VIP at top Canadian dollar online casinos, due to cutting edge encryption software, state-of-the-art firewalls and constant monitoring
- Generous Jackpots: All of the Canada online casinos on this site boast potentially massive payouts in the form of progressive jackpot games that could make you a multi-millionaire in an instant
- Banking Methods: No matter what your preferred method of payment is - whether Visa, Neteller, EFT and many others - rest assured you'll find it as a banking option at any of these fine casinos
- Customer Service: If you have a query, an issue or a suggestion, the customer care facilities at Canadian online casinos are manned 24/7, 365 days a year via telephone, Live Chat and email
The Most Common Canadian Online Casinos FAQs
You may be brand new to the world of Canadian online gambling or you may a 'grandmaster' in the Canada online casino realm. Regardless, if have or have ever had a question surrounding outstanding Canadian online casinos, there is a better than good chance we'll have it covered in the following FAQs:
Is Gambling Online Legal in Canada?
This is a gray area. While the Canadian federal government currently does not issue online casino licenses, neither does it prevent or inhibit Canadians from seeking out and playing at Canadian-friendly online casinos that are based offshore. Online gambling is, however, fully legalised and regulated in the Canadian province of Quebec.
Can You Trust Downloadable Online Casino Software?
Yes. One of the things that makes premier Canadian online casinos what they is their downloadable games. These are provided by one or more top-rated online casino software vendors - such as Microgaming - which develop their games using reliable and secure state-of-the-art Random Number Generator (RNG) and encryption software.
Are Canadian Online Casino Banking Methods Safe?
Yes. There are plenty of fast, safe and private payment methods to choose from at Canadian online casino sites like Visa, MasterCard, Neteller, Skrill, Ukash, paysafecard, Eco, Direct Bank Transfer, EZIpay and Citadel Direct. Each of these banking options is reputable, easy to use, and trusted by millions of gambling fans around the world.
What is and How do You Claim a Welcome Bonus?
A welcome bonus (or a signup bonus) is a bonus offer available at all featured Canadian online casinos that allows you to boost your deposited playing funds 'on the house.' Percentage-based, a typical online casino welcome bonus is "100% up to CAD$1,000 free," which means you can double your playing funds up to a maximum of $2,000.
Do Canadian Casinos only Offer Real Money Games?
No. Most online Canadian casinos offer free play games as well as real money games, which are identical in every way except for their payouts. Play money games allow you try out most games, as well as hone your skills and work on a winning strategy (without risking a cent), before you are confident enough to move on to real money games.
What is a Payout Percentage at an Online Casino?
A payout percentage is the rate of return paid by a particular online casino. In other words, the percentage of every collective dollar wagered paid out in winnings. For example, an online Canadian casino advertising a payout percentage of 97%, means it pays out 97c of every dollar wagered in winnings, while retaining 3c to remain profitable.
Do Online Casinos Accept Canadian Dollars (CAD)?
Yes. Many online casinos accept Canadian dollars these days which is great news if you prefer to deposit, play and make withdrawals in your native currency. Playing real money online casino games in CAD also means that you never have to convert from another currency, particular a far away currency such as Great Britain pounds or Euros.
Understanding Available Bonuses
One of the most exciting parts of becoming a player at casino Canada online is the available bonus offers. All new players qualify to receive some type of welcome bonus offer, including no deposit bonuses, free spin bonuses and match bonuses, to name a few. Each casino has their own terms and conditions regarding the bonuses they offered which you should always read before claiming a bonus. As an existing player, you are rewarded frequently in the way of new and ongoing promotions. It is common to have a Canadian casino run a promotion that revolves around a new game release. Some Canadian casinos even offer free spins on a new slot game or will issue a reload bonus when you make additional casino deposits.
You are always advised to take advantage of any online casino bonus and promotion that is made available. This is a great way for you to earn free casino cash and enjoy more of the fantastic games on offer. From table games to slots, you will have access to some of the most exciting casino games online at Canadian-friendly online casinos.
Available Bonus Types
Canadian players can claim several types of casino bonuses. The most popular of these bonuses are:
- No Deposit: Which as the name suggest requires no deposit to be made. These offer a great opportunity to sample what the casino has to offer. Don't mistake these offers for a chance to get rich. The bonus terms and usually onerous and large cashouts will be all but possible, even if you win.
- Match Deposit: Are allocated as percentages of the initial deposit amounts up to a stated maximum amount. Although players will have to clear match bonuses through real money play, match bonuses are a great way to start building a casino bankroll. These bonuses are sometimes split over multiple deposits.
- Game-specific Bonuses: Are match bonuses to be used on specified games only, typically slots. Besides, they encourage existing players to continue playing by offering match bonuses on every deposit they make.
- Free Play Bonuses: Are one of the more interesting options available to players. These offers allow you to play with a free starting balance for s set period of time. If you have managed to win, you can transfer a small amout (usually no more than $100) to a real money account, provided you then make a small deposit.
Canadian casinos also offer special bonuses such as birthday bonuses, refer-a-friend bonuses, promotional bonuses, loyalty bonuses, free spins on featured games, and much more.
How To Claim
Claiming bonuses at Canadian Casinos is not a difficult process. Usually, online casinos credit bonuses directly to players' real play accounts. Some of them might request players to claim their bonus by sending an email to customer care, and some might direct players to input a bonus code.
If players sign up through an affiliate link, they will have to input the bonus code supplied by the affiliate site to claim certain special bonuses and offers. Canadian casinos also offer loyalty bonuses associated with their VIP programs, and players can claim these bonuses by achieving the required loyalty level in the VIP program.
History of Online Casinos in Canada
Ever since the start of online gambling, Canadians have been some of the quickest to adopt new games and technologies. In fact, many if the very first online gambling sites were developed in Canada and are still in operation today. One of the first online casinos to ever take a wager, English Harbour, was developed in Montreal and licensed in the sovereign Indian territory of Kanawhake which is located outside of Montreal.
The territory was an early mover in the industry and for a long time licensed some of the biggest online gambling sites in the world. As a result many operators established functions such as customer service and systems developed in nearby Montreal and some in Vancouver.
Most of these operators predominantly targeted the US market and following the UIGEA which outlawed online gambling in the United States either closed for business or focussed their efforts elsewhere. They tend to not accept Canadians, but hundreds of gambling sites licensed in offshore jurisdictions and countries like the United Kingdom do and many have honed their services to accommodate the needs of Canadian online gambling enthusiasts.
Is Online Gambling Legal in Canada?
This question is a bit difficult to answer but a simplistic view suggests that it is neither illegal nor regulated. Having said that, most of the Montreal and Vancouver based companies discussed above continue to operate but block locals from using their services.
Lotteries, land-based casinos, gambling events held to raise funds for charity, private bets, and betting on horses is perfectly legal in Canada. But the story is a bit different for online gambling. Although Canadian gambling laws are not favourable for online gambling, there is nothing to stop Canadian players from signing up and playing for real money.
Gambling is one of the most popular activities throughout the ten provinces and three territories of Canada. Gambling laws vary slightly from province to province. For instance, gambling laws in Quebec say that players must be at least 18 to gamble and gambling laws in Ontario set the legal age for gambling at 19. Besides, players must be at least 18 if they want to wager real money on scratch offs and lottery lines. The territorial and provincial governments regulate the Canadian gambling industry and require all gaming site operators to follow the rules. We review the best online gambling options for Canadians.
A number of land based operators have ventured into the online gambling world and allow residents of their province to bet online.
In brief, Canada is not as unfriendly toward online gambling as the US government is. The provincial governments understand that online gambling is here to stay and can generate plenty of state revenue if properly regulated and licensed. The attitude of the Canadian government to online gaming is rather relaxed.
Until regulation of online gambling becomes a reality we will continue to see Canadians enjoy the many reliable and trustworthy online gambling sites recommended by Gambling Land.